Our mission and core values reflect our steadfast commitment to empowering members with the services and tools they need to create the conditions for all students in their states to achieve excellence across multiple domains.
We believe in equity and excellence.
We believe that students of all races, genders, and circumstances deserve the supports they need to thrive in school. We believe all students can learn at high levels and must have the opportunity to do so through state policies that address their diverse learning needs.
- We prioritize state leadership of public education: We believe that state boards of education, in partnership with chief state school officers, governors, and legislatures, are best positioned to craft, promote, and oversee state education policies.
- We empower citizen leaders: We build the capacity of state board members to question, convene, and act boldly with and for students, educators, and families.
- We elevate evidence in policymaking: We ground our resources, tools, and services in the strongest evidence available and help our members make informed decisions in the best interest of students.
- We build community: We facilitate productive dialogue and nonpartisan exchange among members with diverse perspectives, creating lasting channels for the sharing of evidence-based strategies and solutions.
- We collaborate: We promote respectful collaboration, both among our members and between our members and the broader education community.
We integrate equity and excellence into everything we do.
As a learning organization, we will periodically refine and reflect upon our definition of equity and how we have integrated it into our work. We define equity, diversity, and inclusion as:
- An equitable education is one in which all students receive what they need to thrive in school. To realize equity in learning environments, policymakers will develop informed policies to eliminate systems, institutional practices, and cultural norms that keep students of varied backgrounds and circumstances from flourishing in school.
- Diversity. Varied backgrounds and circumstances of individuals and groups, which schools, districts, and state leaders embrace to achieve excellence in teaching and learning.
- Inclusion. The creation of education systems in which individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds and circumstances operate in an atmosphere of mutual respect where they are empowered to participate fully.
Read more from our NASBE Strategic Plan, adopted fall 2018.