When: June 14-15, 2019 (adjourn by noon on Saturday)
Where: Alexandria, Virginia
Hotel Information: Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria Old Town | 1900 Diagonal Rd, Alexandria, VA 22314
2019 agenda forthcoming, see the 2018 agenda here. State board of education members who attend NASBE’s New Member Institute will:
- Learn what it takes to be a successful and productive member of a state board of education.
- Build the skills needed to do the job: parliamentary procedure, communicating in the era of social media, working with the state legislature and other key stakeholders, working with the news media, working with fellow board members.
- Discuss common policy concerns and issues, and discover real-world examples of how state boards of education are successfully addressing them.
- Establish working relationships with new state board of education members from across the country.
- Gain an understanding of NASBE’s resources and how the organization can help state boards in their important work.
NASBE will assume responsibility for airfare and other travel costs (up to $500), hotel, and registration costs for a maximum of two new board members from each dues-paying state to attend the New Member Institute. Additional board members may attend at their state’s expense ($500 for new board members from a dues-paying state; $550 for veteran board members from a dues-paying state; $950 for board members from non-NASBE member states, plus travel and lodging expenses). Direct questions to Sharon Cannon at firstname.lastname@example.org, or read our Frequently Asked Questions.