Always one of NASBE’s most popular conferences, the New Member Institute includes case studies in policy development; “how to” sessions on dealing with the media and handling state board business; special current issues sessions; information on how NASBE can assist state boards and individual members; and many opportunities for questions and group participation.
New state board of education members who attend the New Member Institute will:
- Build the skills needed to do the job: parliamentary procedure, working with the state legislature and other key stakeholders, and working with fellow board members.
- Discuss common policy concerns and issues, and discover real-world examples of how state boards of education are successfully addressing them.
- Establish working relationships with new state board of education members from across the country.
- Gain an understanding of NASBE’s resources and how the organization can help state boards in their important work.
New Member Institute 2022 will be held virtually over three days: June 29, July 27, and August 24. Watch this space for program and registration information.
- Session One: The Role of a State Board Member, State Board Levers of Authority, and How to Lead for Lasting Change
- Session Two: Parliamentary Procedure Training and Demonstration and Leading with Evidence
- Session Three: The Federal Role in Education and Emerging Education Issues, Communications and Engagement, and Working with Your Legislature and Governor
New Member Institute 2021 was held virtually over three days, June 23, July 21, and August 18. Sessions are now available for viewing on demand.
In 2020, the New Member Institute was held virtually. Watch recordings on-demand, including a session on Parliamentary Procedure.