How Schools Work and How to Work with Schools (2014) demystifies public education for policymakers, government officials, community members, business leaders, and others interested in partnering with schools to improve the health, safety, and well-being of all students and ensure they are successful in their academic pursuits. How Schools Work includes:
- Explanation of public education governance at the federal, state, local, and school levels and how national organizations influence education policymaking.
- Ways to meaningfully and positively engage with the education sector, including examples of successful school-community partnerships and best practices.
- Guiding principles for working with schools and practical steps for more successful collaboration with them.
- Answers to the most frequently asked questions about public education. For example: What is Title I and how does it support low-income students? And, how are public schools funded?
- Reliable data sources and resources for additional information on crossover issues in education, from school crime and safety, to school nutrition and health policies and practices.
- A glossary of common education terms, acronyms, and important federal education programs.