- Introduction |
- Online Seminars |
- Publications |
- Resources |
- Stipends and Policy Workshops |
White Paper: Performance Assessments: How State Policy Can Advance Assessments for 21st Century Learning
In this new NASBE paper, Stanford University Professor and SCOPE Faculty Director Linda Darling-Hammond and NASBE Deeper Learning Project Director Ace Parsi argue that focusing on assessments is essential for facilitating meaningful learning that leads to state educational success and helps policymakers address some of the thorniest issues around them: purpose, sustainability, reliability, accountability, policy alignment, equity, professional practice, and implementation (January 2014). Read Performance Assessments: How State Policy Can Advance Assessments for 21st Century Learning.
State Education Standard on Deeper Learning
NASBE has devoted a full issue of its journal, the State Education Standard, to articles that explore a range of topics around deeper learning, including the need for systemic changes for deeper learning, assessments for deeper learning, “on the ground” descriptions of schools implementing deeper learning, and the findings and recommendations of NASBE’s 2013 Study Group on Deeper Learning.
Download the full issue: Standard_Mar2014_full_online
- From the Director’s Desktop: A message from Executive Director Kristen Amundson. Director’s_Desktop
- Editor’s Note, by David Kysilko. Editor’s_Note
- The Learner and Learning, 2014 and Beyond, by Ace Parsi. A summary of the findings and recommendations of NASBE’s 2013 Study Group on Deeper Learning. Standard_Mar2014_Parsi
- The NASBE Interview, by Ace Parsi. An interview with Georgia State Board of Education member Kenneth Mason. NASBE_Interview
- Deeper Learning for All: Transforming State Policy to Transform Student Outcomes, by Robert Rothman. The author shows how fostering deeper learning isn’t about a single policy, it’s about transforming an education system. Standard_Mar2014_Rothman
- Dialing, Authenticating, Connecting: Thinking Differently and Deeply about Student Engagement, by Elliot Washor and Charles Mojkowski. Using examples from their Big Picture Learning network of schools, the authors explain how personalized learning environments are essential to enabling student deeper learning opportunities. Standard_Mar2014_Washor
- Assessments for Deeper Learning: What’s Next and What Will They Cost, by Linda Darling-Hammond. Noted education thought-leader Linda Darling-Hammond examines the need to create high-quality yet affordable assessments for deeper learning. Standard_Mar2014_Darling-Hammond
- Teaching the Deeper Aspects of Civic Learning, by Peter Levine. The author explores the often over-looked connection between deeper learning and success as a responsible, engaged citizen. Standard_Mar2014_Levine
- Teaching Citizenship, by Robert Pondiscio. An “on the ground” look at Democracy Prep in New York City, where students are involved in deeper learning as they build their skills and passion for engaged citizenship. Standard_Mar2014_Pondiscio
- Creating Proficiency-Based/Learner-Centered Systems, by Don Siviski and Gary Chapin. This article describes Maine’s path toward a proficiency-based system that will provide students personalized, deeper learning opportunities. Standard_Mar2014_Siviski
- Deeper Learning Leads to Deeper Pockets, by David Rattray and Chris Mead. Two chamber of commerce representatives note that employers are expecting new employees to demonstrate transferrable deeper learning competencies as well academic proficiency. Deeper Learning_Rattray-Mead article
- How Social-Emotional Learning and Development of 21st Century Competencies Support Academic Achievement, by Margaret Hilton. The author explains the important roles intrapersonal and interpersonal skills—including areas such as self management, work ethic, communication, and collaboration—play in deeper learning. Standard_Mar2014_Hilton
This issue of the State Education Standard was produced with support from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation.
- Deeper Learning Study Group Report-findings and recommendations from NASBE’s Study Group on “The Learner and Learning:2014 and Beyond.” Deeper_Learning_Study_Group_Report