The National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE) represents state and territorial boards of education, state board attorneys, and state board executive secretaries. State boards of education can be found in 48 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Puerto Rico (see below for governance models). NASBE’s principle objectives include: strengthening state leadership in education policy; promoting excellence in the education of all students; advocation equality of access to educational opportunity; and ensuring continued citizen support for public education.
This site contains several sections and provides valuable information to NASBE’s membership:
- Bill Watch - contains proposed and enacted federal legislation;
- Congressional Hearings - contains summaries of past Congressional hearings;
- Congressional Information - contains information about each cmte and subcmte;
- Federal Updates - contains timely and accurate information about what is going on in Washington, DC;
- NASBE Activities - contains summaries of NASBE briefings on the hill, participation in education community forums;
- U.S. Department of Education Activities - contains information about budget proposals and funding;
- Advocacy Works - contains information about to effectively communicate with Congress and the media.
NASBE’s intent is to provide timely and accurate education-related information, news, and events as information becomes available from Capitol Hill in Washington, DC and the U.S. Department of Education. Please contact NASBE if you have any comments and/or questions.